How Effective is Kybella?
Kybella is the result of more than 20 clinical trials on some 2,600 patients. It is the only FDA-approved injectable treatment for this purpose. Kybella can be administered over a course of six treatments, at least one month apart with a 79% success rate among those who complete all six treatments. More than a quarter of participants in clinical trials were able to see results after just the first two treatments and, in some cases, less than six treatments were needed to reach the desired results.
What Makes Kybella Work?
The primary active ingredient in Kybella is deoxycholic acid. This acid is present in your body as a means of breaking down fat cells already. By replicating this molecule and targeting it directly at the fat cells beneath the chin it can be used to efficiently fight the signs of aging and reduce submental fullness. In most cases, once the course of treatment has been completed, there is no need for recurring treatment at a later date. The cells themselves are broken down and reabsorbed so that they cannot continue to accumulate and store fat.
Are there any Side Effects from a Kybella Treatment?
There are some known side effects to Kybella. In most cases, side effects include soreness and swelling at the injection site, or small hard spots that fade over time. In more severe cases, Kybella can cause nerve damage that results in facial weakness and can affect your ability to smile.
Is Kybella Right for You?
Determining whether Kybella is the right treatment for you involves several factors, including your health, aesthetic goals, and the characteristics of your submental fullness (double chin). Here are some considerations to help you decide:
Ideal Candidates for Kybella
- Adults with Moderate to Severe Submental Fat: Kybella is most effective for those who have a noticeable amount of fat under the chin that does not respond to diet and exercise.
- People Looking for Non-Surgical Options: If you’re seeking to avoid surgery, Kybella offers a non-invasive alternative to liposuction or face-lift procedures.
- Patients with Good Skin Elasticity: Those with resilient skin are likely to see better contouring results, as the skin can more easily adapt to the reduced volume under the chin
Factors to Consider
- Patience for Multiple Treatments: Kybella typically requires multiple sessions (anywhere from 2 to 6), spaced at least one month apart, to achieve optimal results.
- Temporary Side Effects: Be prepared for swelling, bruising, and discomfort in the treated area, which are common but temporary.
- Permanent Solution: Once the desired effect is achieved, the results are permanent, as the fat cells are destroyed and cannot return. However, maintaining a stable weight is crucial to preserving the results.
Who Should Avoid Kybella
- Pregnant or Breastfeeding Women: The safety of Kybella has not been established in pregnant or breastfeeding women.
- Individuals with Infections or Health Issues Near the Treatment Area: Active infections or certain health conditions near the chin area may preclude you from being a candidate.
- People with Loose or Excess Skin: If the primary issue is sagging skin rather than fat, other treatments might be more appropriate.
San Diego Cosmetic Laser Clinic
Consulting with an experienced professional like Dr. Parvin Mani at the San Diego Cosmetic Laser Clinic is crucial to determine if Kybella is the right choice for you. Dr. Mani can provide personalized advice and a treatment plan tailored to your specific needs and aesthetic goals. Kybella stands out for its effectiveness and lasting results in improving facial profiles. To explore how Kybella can enhance your appearance, consider booking a consultation with Dr. Mani today (619) 583-7555