People who opt for dermal fillers typically take good care of their skin because they know skin health plays a significant role in maintaining a youthful appearance. For the most part, we’re all aware that sun damage is one of the main causes of prematurely aging skin. But what’s less commonly known is that sun exposure can also have a negative effect on dermal fillers and cause unwanted skin reactions at injection sites as well.
We don’t want to scare you away from dermal fillers. They’re one of the best cosmetic innovations of our time. Facial fillers can take years off your appearance and give you a boost in confidence with zero incisions, zero downtime, and immediate results. Who doesn’t love that? But when you invest the time and money in yourself, it’s important to know how to optimize your results. So, when it comes to sun exposure, there are some things you need to know.
What you need to know about facial fillers and sun exposure
- Avoiding sun exposure for two weeks will allow your skin to heal
- Even after the two weeks, unprotected sun exposure should be avoided at all times
- Sun exposure can interrupt the healing process and even cause a skin reaction to treatment
- UV radiation degrades the hyaluronic acid and can reduce the longevity of your results
- Sun exposure can result in discoloration at injection sites
- High SPF sunscreen should be worn even on cloudy days
- Wearing a hat while outdoors will further protect your skin from UV rays
- Daily use of a topical antioxidant will add another measure of protection
- Tanning beds should be avoided altogether
- Tanning sprays can give you a sun-kissed look, but should be avoided until injection sites have healed
These suggestions regarding sun exposure and sun protection will aid in skin health and beauty whether you have dermal fillers or not. Minimizing exposure to harmful UV rays will help keep you looking young, fresh, and radiant for years to come.
Ready to turn back the clock? Come see us today!
At San Diego Cosmetic Laser Clinic, your dermal fillers will be done by Dr. Parvin Mani, an experienced medical practitioner who is highly skilled in the science and art of cosmetic injectables. Afterward, we’ll give you a clear set of post-procedure instructions. They’ll include the Do’s and Don’ts of sun exposure after dermal fillers as well as everything else you need to know about how to avoid complications and optimize your results. For more information about dermal fillers or any of the other cosmetic services we offer, give us a call at (619) 583-7555 today.